Having young kids is the best time to travel. As travel writer Bill Bryson says: “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”
The same can be said about children. They were made to go together. Here are 9 more reasons why we like to travel with babies and toddlers.
9 reasons why having small children is a great time to travel
1. You have to pack every time you leave the house anyway. You may as well go somewhere exciting.
2. Travel puts parents in a similar mindset to small children and babies. You are in a situation where everything is new. You can empathize with and enhance their budding wonder and discovery.
3. They’re not in school yet.
4. You don’t have to pay big bucks for their flights.
5. It’s one of life’s transition periods, so you may already be taking or considering taking a hiatus from everyday life.
6. You can break free from the tyranny of parenting trends and explore how other cultures do things.
7. The playground in your neighbourhood park is next to Starbucks. The playground in Aix-en-Provence is next to that really fabulous boulangerie.
8. Knowledge: You’ll all learn more about your family unit and the world by changing things up.
9. Bonding: The discoveries and problem solving that takes place during group travel create a really sticky family unit.